Lobster Reef was started by the Brown family – the people behind Cape Campbell Wines. The Brown family joined the Marlborough wine industry in 1980. Initially they grew grapes for other companies, but in 1992 they started their own company.
In 2002 they bought a block of land in the Blind River sub-region of Marlborough, and Cape Campbell was born.
The Lobster Reef label celebrates the unique, rugged coast which is just s stone's throw from the vineyard.
The home vineyard consists of 200 acres of established wines (planted in 2002). Other loyal contract growers provide consistently high-quality fruit so you're guaranteed a great glass of wine.
- Blind River Valley, Seddon, Marlborough, outside the Blenheim township
- Latitude: 41˚40'58.59"S
- Longitude: 174˚ 4'48.91"E
- Elevation: Majority of vineyards on the flatlands, with additional vineyards on higher elevation slopes
- Cool climate with extended sunshine hours
- Hot/windy weather in spring and summer
- Dry environment with modest rainfall (700mm/28in pa.)
- Tight soil structure ensures low vigour
- Sauvignon Blanc, Pinot Gris, Riesling, Chardonnay and Pinot Noir
- Established in 1980
- Area under vine: 200 acres